I've just started reading the book Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicholls. It's about a boy named Sam Stranger who is 11 and has leukemia. So far in the book, I've noticed Sam's attitude. I've also noticed the roles the people in Sam's family play.
Sam and his friend Felix both have leukemia. I've noticed that Sam seems to be a very pessimistic person. For example: in the book it says "I don't have to go into the hospital ever again. Dr Bill promised. I have to go to the clinic- that's it. If I get sick, I can stay at home. That's because I'm going to die." Instead of focusing on the good things (like hanging out with his friend Felix) he chooses the focus on something that may or may not happen. Sam's only 11 years old, I don't think he should have to focus on something as gloomy as death. It's not as if it's a definite thing, he believes he's going to die. Another example is when he and his friend Felix are deciding if they want to try to break a world record. Felix keeps suggesting things, but Sam replies with things like "I'm not doing that!" or "That's not impressive it's stupid" He won't even try to have fun. He's always being very cynical and doesn't seem to like to use his imagination much, while his friend Felix is the complete opposite. I think that Sam just has a really bad outlook on life.
In Sam's family there's his mom, dad, and 8 year old sister Ella. I think his dad would be the mentor in Sam's life. Sam's always saying how he wants to be just like him. For example" Dad is very clever. He knows alot of things. I have lot of aunties and uncles. Dad has 1 brother and 4 sisters. Mum says that's why he's so quiet, because he never got any space when he was younger. I think that's rubbish. Dad's just quiet like me, he's shy. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Sometimes I wish I could go and hide too." When he says that, it makes me think that he sort of favors his dad over his mom, because they are alike. Even though they don't have that many conversations, Sam still seems to idolize his father.I think his mom cares for everyone. She is always hovering over Sam, making sure everything is alright with him. I think all the fussing might annoy Sam a bit, because it's just not his personality to always be in the spotlight. I know I would get annoyed if there was someone always hovering over me. I think Ella is the one who provides a sense of normalcy to the family. She seems to be like a typical little sister, annoying Sam and throwing tantrums. I kind of think deep inside Sam likes this because his life isn't normal at all. He has leukemia- he's always going in and out of hospitals, having blood tests, and being homeschooled. Ella just gives him a taste of having a "normal family". That being said the people in Sam's family all play different roles.
In the book the roles his family play and his pessimistic attitude both seem to be big things that keep getting mentioned. They are also really important. I think that Sam's attitude might make enjoying life difficult. Even though his cancer does that already. Even though everyone in Sam's family has a different role, I think they are all extremely important.
No comments:
Post a Comment